Monday, February 9, 2009

SPPS- Self Preservation in a Plastic Sense


As I was growing up, I learnt to accept the way I look. I may not be drop dead gorgeous but I am really happy with the way I am. Of course when I was younger, i.e. early teens, I would wish for certain things such as non-frizzy hair, slimmer hips, narrower face etc but as I grew older I came to love the way I look. Honestly, I do. Back then in school, plastic surgery was perceived as something so shocking, and usually related to inflated boobs, like Dolly Parton. N.B. My Sig.Ot has recently told me that they all real.

My perception of plastic surgery started to change when I began to watch Nip Tuck 5 years ago. It got me thinking and I realised that most of us do alter or enhance the way we look. For example, skin preservatives you find in pots such as Creme de la Mer or SK II. Or lightweight thickening plus lengthening mascara, or in recent years, fake eyelashes which is glued on to your eyelids strand by strand which in my personal opinion make some look like they have got caterpillar resting on their eyelids.

Therefore most of us in the name of vanity do, to a certain degree, try to resist what nature does to the way we look. I admit that I may not wish to alter the way I look, but I would want to preserve the way I look. I do not want a new nose but I would like to keep my skin taut for as long as possible. I do not want my cheeks to sag or my jaw area to develop jowls. However, perhaps with time I may grow to accept how they will wrinkle, like how I grew to accept the way I looked in the first place. After all, aging does not happen overnight anyway.

So if my next pregnancy ruin my boobs, I may not rule out plastic surgery to restore them. Read restore, not upsize. My Sig.Ot said that there is no point in plastic surgery then. Haha... that's his humor for you.

The point is, most of us do want to look good by way of enhancing or changing or preserving. It is to what extremes are you willing to go. Be it a jar of Creme de la Mer or Botox injection. Therefore before one professes to be a saint and swear never ever to change the way she looks, do think again.

No comments: