Friday, February 27, 2009

Death by Association

It was in the news that Saks Fifth Avenue will be dropping Posh Spice's DVB denim range. Hahaha... to think that it was actually newsworthy.

It is common for companies to sign up celebrities to promote their products. The coolest campaign I remember is one which has got so many famous sportspeople in just one advertisement. Not the pepsi one, but it is set in the dark and everyone was kicking a football. Please refresh my memory if you know what I am talking about.

How many of us are naive enough to buy a product simply because it is endorsed by a certain celebrity. Plus some of the pairings are really odd. I think Amber Chia has probably endorsed a full range of household items. Rice - check, massage chair - check, butt firming salons - check, and the list goes on (some of you may wonder why not lip collagen). Oh not to forget the space tourist aka angkasawan (in Malaysia), I remember seeing a poster of him on the highway back to KL from JB. He must have endorsed something weird too.

Not just that, but do you really think that these celebrities use the products. I am sure Revlon is an ok product but surely Cindy Crawford had a whole range of upper market face paints arriving by the truckload as gifts for her to use. Hmmnnn... SK II is probably more believable but you get my point.

So as I was saying, do you actually buy a product simply because a company has spent millions of dollars to sign on the celebrity who then pretends to use the product? Marketing cost is of course then passed down to us poor consumers, which is probably the reason why SK II is so bloody expensive. They have geography-specific celebrities promoting their product! Sammi Cheng for the North Asia, Angelica Lee for Chinese in Malaysia - HK market etc.

I know for a fact that I would boycott a product if it is associated with certain celebrity. It is the same mentality as I would not bother to vote for a song to be on the Top 10 chart, but I wish I could vote for a song NOT to be on the chart. (Makarena, Chicken song etc). For instance I would never buy perfume made by any actress or actors no matter how famous they are. They are blatantly cashing in on their status and further exploiting their poor fans. My Sig.Ot refused to use the Gillette shaver which was endorsed by David Beckham. So who gives a hoot about DVB denim?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't wear "wonderbra" because it does not make me feel wonderful according to the self-proclaim ads. i dont feel any sexier even with the "push up" since mine dah tak boleh nak push..kalau push pun nmpk flat..haha :P so why wasting so much money then? saranan saya, jadilah pengguna yang bijak..instead i just buy bra cap Yobo di Fajar, S'wan nowdays known as The Store since it's murah compare to KL (those days the label display badak sumbu picture), hence i travel all the way to Sitiawan ever since i lived in KL to buy my fav Yobo bra -sepuluh ringgit sj. ya kengkawan..

xoxo
emma

Mom again said...

haha.. i remember yobo... bras are so bloody overpriced anyway

little miss kechik said...

hee. i wish i could fit in a yobo. seriously *LOL*