Friday, July 3, 2009

Howl At The Moon - 2nd July 09


It has been a very long time since I've gone clubbing on a weekday, well not that it makes any difference to me. (In fact if I want to, I could drink anytime of the day, any day! Ha) A friend of mine turned 31 yesterday and we took her to this place called Howl At The Moon at Emerald Hill. Frankly speaking, I did not know what to expect. After all, most places are so pretentious these days, and I mean both the bars and their patrons.

When I got there around 8.30pm, I was very surprised that the band(mainly Caucasian but 2 locals) was already playing. On the stage they had the usual setup; drums, guitar (?) actually I don't think there was a guitar.

In fact, the band stood out simply because they had 2 baby grands, drums, saxophone, trumpet (?) and perhaps a couple of other musical instruments. And at ALL times, the stage have 2 singers on piano singing. Towards the end of every hour, all the other band members get on stage to perform before replacing the first 2 singers on piano. This means that in order to qualify to join the band, you have to play ALL the musical instruments. How impressive is that? I met one of the guys and he told me that he learnt the piano in 8 months! They made up songs as well, rude of course.

It was very spontaneous, entertaining and engaging. This is the first club that I have been to that plays ONLY live music. The band does not take any breaks, you don't have to listen to stupid techno. Not to mention that they get patrons to play games. Birthday girl had to do crazy shot, then with another friend they had to dance to "I'm a Little Teapot," and I had to compete with 3 other people and say the phrase "Suck it to me" as many times as possible in 60 seconds. My friends had high hopes for me, unfortunately after a bottle of Cloudy Bay, my tongue was tied and I burst into laughter. This other guy was pretty good but when he said it quickly, he sounded like he was saying "sodomy." His friend went last and he was good. All he said was, "suck me suck me suck me," which was both smart and funny.

I was chatted up by a guy and when I told him that I am married, surprise surprise, he owned up to being married too. *Men*. No swapping of phone numbers, instead we were comparing our kids' photos! That's a first in a club.

I suppose we all have the most fun when we least expect it.

Red Velvet Cupcakes:

2 1/2 cups (250 grams) sifted cake flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons (15 grams) Dutch-processed cocoa powder

1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk (I personally find vinegar better than lemon juice)

2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring

1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar

1 teaspoon baking soda (please note baking soda, not powder!!! i made this mistake few weeks ago. it still turned out alright)

Cream Cheese Frosting:

4 ounces (113 grams) cream cheese, room temperature (i didn't bother with the rest, only cream cheese and some lemon juice)

(And the writing in yellow is simply because I ran out of other colors, and the icing ran)

4 ounces (113 grams) Mascarpone cheese, room temperature

1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup (60 grams) confectioners' (icing or powdered) sugar, sifted

3/4 (180 ml) cup heavy whipping cream

1 comment:

Khemy said...

hey i want to see the '*keratan rentas' of the cupcake..must be nice..

*inner part