Saturday, July 25, 2009

Food that binds...



When I first started dating Sig.Ot, we ate alot and we still do. I figured that the love of same type of food bound us together, like the sticky rice we eat with bbq meat on the beach or noodle soup in makeshift stalls by the side of the road.

I thought that I have at least seen if not ate most food in SE Asia, such as those fried insects or whatever Chinese stew with unhalal contents. So 5 years ago, he introduced to me a heavenly appetiser called Kung Chay Nam Pla at a Thai restaurant in Telawi (I think it's called Laana), I was swept off my feet. Since then, each trip to Thailand is accompanied by a daily dose of this yummy dish.

As the name suggests, it is a prawn dish, eaten raw. Yum yum... the peeled raw prawns are usually arranged in fan shape with various accompaniments. I noticed that it is done differently here compared to Phuket. For instance in Phuket, the prawns are arranged with sweet basil, raw garlic and chilli padi. The special chilli sauce is served on the sides. Over here in Samui, the raw prawns are served with shredded raw cabbage and thinly sliced bittergourd! I personally prefer the raw garlic and chilli since the 2 give each other a real good kick.

2 comments:

Khemy said...

hmm..yummy..must be crunchy..ko dah buat aku rasa nak makan japanese pulak hari ni...

Mom again said...

oohh... my biggest crave too when i was pregnant. sashimi yum!
all in moderation and trusted sources.