Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cliches


During most parts of our growing up years, our mothers said alot of "you will understand when you grow up / become a mom" etc. How true it is. In fact for the past 12 months I would have eaten back so many words that I would burp enough alphabets to last Sesame Street for one whole season.

When you have a child, I think most parts of your wedding vows have been renegaded on. At least that is true for me. When I got married we did the whole "in sickness and health thing", but when I had Eddie the equation changed somewhat. Yes of course I would stick with him through thick and thin, but when it comes to the drowning question (the trick question about 2 people drowning and who you would save), I would have to leave Sig.Ot behind this time round to swim back to shore.

As for the value of my life, I lived through the earlier part of my prime* i.e. 20s believing that I was invincible. I would not think twice about bungee jumping, sky diving or getting a 500cc bike. I mean when I drove and the lights turn yellow, what did I do? Not slow down but made a quick check to see whether there's any traffic camera before stepping on either the accelerator or the brake. These days when I drive, I wear the seat belt not out of fear of the local traffic police but simply because I would not want Eddie to lose his mother.

If I were to travel out of the country without Eddie, I tend to have irrational fear of 101 things that may happen to me. There have been a couple of times when I wrote last minute wills in the event I perished during the course of my journey. Speaking of which I'd better see a lawyer to get the will fine-tuned.

Finally, do you remember Madeleine McCann or this Chinese boy from Perak who went missing more than 15 years ago? (The Chinese boy's posters could be found everywhere at that time). I felt very sorry for their parents when they were kidnapped but only now, I can truly truly understand the phrase "mad with grief." If anything happens to my child, I too, would go mad with grief.

*N.B. I am still in my prime.

4 comments:

Khemy said...

poe babe, where are you? you readership back to normal again and you hardly update these days. Does your little rascal pandai hog the laptop nowadays?

xoxo
Awek Manjung

Mom again said...

you should be posting too!!!

ok i've got few half written articles. will post them soon.

i sedang tengok australia next top model!

Khemy said...

on TV or you tube?
try search 'I Lap You' in You Tube and see the video clip..its hillarious..

p/s: and watch "Belilah bot' from the orang yang sama postkan itu..

Mom again said...

i watched it on tv. just seen i lap you!!! oh my goodness... i saw that silly comedy long time ago. you know who the actors are right?
one is jacky cheung and the other one is the super hot tony leong.
this version is not original. it's dubbed into mandarin and the subtitles were funny. bohsia???
kekeke..

anyway what's your msn?