Saturday, May 2, 2009

Birthday parties and everything fancy

I have been wondering for the past week whether I should hold Eddie his 1st birthday party. Honestly he wouldn't know any better. Neither would he have any memory of it in the future.
Reasons why a party is in order would be either for photographic memory (literally) or an excuse for parents to get together for a beer or two. Ever wondered why there are so many kiddy birthday parties on Sunday afternoon at Bangsar Chili's?

However since my parents are coming down to celebrate Eddie's birthday, I shall throw him a party. Not a boozy one but a kiddy one. I came up with a brilliant idea to hold a party where all his friends meet everyday. That would be our local playground, a very nice local playground where Eddie has made more friends than both Sig.Ot and I combined, in Singapore. That way I do not even have to do an invite and just turn up with birthday cake, food and drinks for the children and their nannies. Their parents will not be obliged to turn up or bring presents. Honestly that is a superb idea!!!

As much as I would love doing that, Sig.Ot reminded me of the recent weather unpredictability. Furthermore if my parents will be attending the party, humidity in Singapore is something you need time to acclimatise to. Otherwise not only will you be soaked through the moment you leave the air-conditioned car, you can almost hear the sizzles of sunlight as they give the surrounding trees a hand with photosynthesis.

Therefore I am settling for an indoor party at a play place called Bambini Playclub http://www.bambiniplayclub.com/ It is pretty cool and consists four levels of obstacles. Think Funhouse. Obviously there is a big market here for places like this. They have packages you could select complete with theme options. The shocking bit (to me at least) is the price! The cheapest I have encountered is $350. You could invite up to 25 kids. Nevermind the price, I don't want to invite 25 kids!!!

I saw another place with an advertisement of $100 discount. Upon closer inspection, in 10 font sizes smaller, it says that usual price is $750 which brings the total to $650 for a bloody kiddy party. There is not even booze!!!! If they were to throw in free flow beer it would be a different story.

Well I am not going to take up any packages. I am just going to select 1o nice kids from the playground i.e. the polite ones who greet me, and bring them to this play place. I will bring my own cake, packet juice and order 1 for 1 Canadian Pizza. After all, what matters at the end of the day is that one photograph of Eddie sitting with his 1st birthday cake.

1 comment:

little miss kechik said...

i can't believe he's 1 already. time sure flies.. too fast!