Wednesday, August 27, 2008

And what is the fuss about an upside down flag???

I have never considered myself to have any political leanings. However of late, I am very disappointed with what Malaysia has become. I am very saddened by the constant bickering about race, about all these race traitor nonsense (be it Malay, Chinese or Indian), ketuanan melayu (which is so apartheid sounding). The country is going backward, not forward. America is going to have a Black president, or a woman president had Hillary Clinton won the presidential candidacy.

Point is, we are all supposed to be more educated and advanced. Yet there are still people who let politicians manipulate them via the race card. I miss my childhood days when we mingled in school without any racial distinction. Even my parents who have never attended university probably show more respect towards our neighbours and friends of other races/religions, than some of these monkey politicians. My brothers and I were told to make sure that our dog never ran to our neighbour's home and if she did, we apologised and retrieved the dog. Our neighbour forgave us and life moves on, and when she bumped into me in the market after more than 10 years, we bersalam hormat. These days, it is probably newsworthy and some politicians may even then propose to ban dogs in communities with x% of Muslims, just to garner some popularity votes.

We are supposed to progress, not digress. I want to continue to be proud of this country I grew up in, and which I hope to raise my son in. I want him to experience the truly wonderful culture diversity, to celebrate Chinese New Year, attend open houses and eat Laksa Johor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i still remember we used to lepak2 at aunty's canteen right after school to have our lunch. her telur goreng mixed with red bean is a must have every single time i makan. i still remember her fatty young daughter who have this stern looks and she used to serve the drinks hee.. and also makan karipap from the Indian aunty, yummylicious karipap. i think being in a school of multi-racial, we don't ever think of being prejudice to one another. i missed the good ol' days when we're living in our own world, be happy and contend, no worries. but now things are getting it's way by watching this endless prowess ministers and crazy followers who's trying to outwit each other! speaking of democracy???

xoxo
emma

little miss kechik said...

point well said. i just dont get it la. i watch the news & i get very confused. most of the time, i don't know what's the hu ha about. and trust me, being in an almost 100% bumi office, i yang culture shock ok! *LOL* our skool days were so good & i want my kids to go through the same. but looking at the way it is going now.. our kid probably have other races friends.. as a result of us pushing them to be friends *LOL*

sad aint it?

Anonymous said...

Zaila..i had the same experience. All this while, i'm within this multi-racial society since schooling and college days. in fact, during college years, you can count how many malays in the entire course!! and now i'm like entering into a new paradigm shift where there are absolutely 100% bumis. and i think because of that my brain and mind seems to be deteriorate due to the situations and conditions..i double the culture shock and still in a shocking mode..sigh**..i missed all my friends la...and yeah, i have to constantly think of "globalising" myself haha...:P the thing is why laaaa you guys tinggal jauh2 ..haiyaaa..otherwise out of boredom we all can go for yam cha makan2 ..and yeah you may bring all your precious handbags aka babies)..heee..;)

xoxo
emma

Reina Grosvalet said...

It is 2009, and you'd be so very amazed about how much ignorance still abounds. You'd expect people to be more educated.

I'm a twenty-four year old blind woman who is very successful. I'm successful because I had to create my own opportunities. There is an eighty percent unemployment rate in the blind community, and this is largely due to the ignorance on the part of employers who will not hire a blind person despite the skills they possess. After applying to every job in town and being turned away, I decided that I'd be self employed. I went from rejection to resourceful, as I started my own company after a deeply loved passion--computers. After some time, I made our local newspaper for my efforts. I'm glad I did since I hope my example will show the public that the blind are not as stupid, handicap, and helpless as many would love to believe. If you want to read the article, it is found at http://www.somdnews.com/stories/12192008/indybus102352_32253.shtml

You'd be very surprised, or not, of some of the questions people ask me when they find out I'm blind.

1. Can you dress yourself?
Answer: Um yes. Duh! I'm blind, not stupid.

2. Can you live by yourself?
Answer: Heck no. I need a baby sitter twenty-four/seven since the lack of my eyes working deeply impairs my brain leaving me incapable of making rational decisions. (This is my sarcastic response, as the question is so uh dumb. You'd be amazed at how many actually take this seriously.)

3. Can you bathe yourself?

Answer: No way. I will miss the poop that is caked on my backside. Not to mention, I'll eat the fruit smelling soap thinking it is candy. (It is laughable how people will also buy this one. Of course, I say it to get a rise out of people for asking such nonsense questions. People who actually believe blind people to be this stupid need to take a hike.)

I used to get so mad at ignorance, but now I have fun with it through sarcasm. Of course, though, I still continue to advocate for blind people and post up educational articles to help people understand what blind people are capable of.