Sunday, August 2, 2009

My HeartBurns


My trip to Thailand always include outings to the local market. The treasure, oops I mean food, you could find there is absolutely heavenly.

This is also the opportunity I take to stock up on my curry paste collection, especially the super spicy version of everything (red, green, sour, panang) which not only leaves your mouth tingly but with a serious heartburn too.

On top of that, I was going to buy all types of curry paste as a present to our neighbor down the road, a 90 year old great grandmother whom Eddie visits every morning. Since she loves cooking and occasionally share with us her delicious nyonya specialities, I thought the gift of curry paste was befitting. Furthermore, I will be visiting my family next week and I am sure my parents would enjoy the curry too. I ended up buying 11 bags of individually packed curry paste from the market and was so pleased with my curry haul!

And why oh why did I not think of the stupid airport???

I hand carried them all in a paper bag, and they were confiscated at the gate scanner. The lady told me I could not bring them on to the plane, as they were like "lotion that you put on your skin." What kind of a stupid comparison was that?! Yes I understand what she was trying to say but her choice of example merely infuriated me. I did ask her whatever happened to the 100ml allowance in clear plastic bag because they were all in clear plastic bags. She told me there was no such thing eventhough I swear SIA allows lotian and toothpaste in the approved quantity of course, on my long haul flights.

My heart burns and yearns for my lost curry paste.

No comments: