Saturday, April 11, 2009

HIV


I remember the first time I went for HIV test, the wait for the results was absolutely terrifying. No, I am not a drug user, prostitute or homosexual. I am an ordinary person who works in the corporate world.

It does not mean just by having a university degree or a good full time job would exempt you from the possibility of contracting HIV. I mean it could have been from that tattoo needle, that blood test or just anything, and you never know would you? These are all the scenarios you will keep playing at the back of your head while waiting for the results.

I recently spoke to a friend about this and she was very surprised that I have been for HIV test because she did not know anyone else who did. Of course the most probable reason why many people would not do the HIV test is due to the stigma of this infection.

To me, the simplest reason why everyone should get tested is because there is no cure for this disease and if you do have it, you should know in order to protect your loved ones from it. I did the test when I was pregnant with Eddie and when I am pregnant with my next baby, I will do the test again, without a doubt. I was also an AIDS ambassador in my previous company to help raise awareness of this disease.

Of course this led to a more interesting discussion:-
  1. Would you inform your ex partners?
  2. How would you break the news to them?

So if answer to question (1) is yes, these are the options:-
  • Hi, it's me. I'm HIV positive and you probably are too.
  • Hi, you b*&%^$*. You gave me HIV and I hope you die soon.

3 comments:

little miss kechik said...

i know exactly about the horrifying wait. urgh. i had to do it cos it is part of the Jabatan Agama requirement to get married.

the nurses were whispering when they ask you questions like.. "have u had multiple sex partners? or.. "have u used drugs".. to which my first reply was.. "err.. ape die? tak berapa dengar" hahahahh!

but what really was funny was the look on their face when the result came (hospital kerajaan can give you the resulr there & then.. woo!).. they were like.. "aa... -ve" ..macam die plak yg nak kawen! hehe!

Mom again said...

wow, i'm impressed with the govt hospital! that's really good.
i know a couple of people who did the test in private clinics who went through hell for a week or so while waiting for the results.

you're so cheeky. how do they ask in malay on the multiple sex partners?
"tidor dgn ramai orang?"

little miss kechik said...

actually they ask in english! weird kan??? hahahah!