Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Things to do in my leisure time... Part 2



# 2 Charity

When the opportunity to leave my job came up, my Significant Other was extremely supportive. He then encouraged me to be involved in charity works as he has always wanted to do so. One of the things that he has always felt strongly about is child abuse. As for me, having Eddie has definitely enhanced my maternal instinct. These days any stories or images I see of children being neglected or abuse automatically reduce me to tears.
Today, I looked up childrensociety.com for volunteer works which are available. One volunteer work which I thought suited me best was to look after vulnerable witnesses in court. Eventhough the job scope was not detailed, I believe that the volunteer is required to accompany the child to court and speak on the child's behalf. I honestly believe that I am perfect for the job since I am an eloquent multilingual speaker with a law degree.
So I called up the society and told them about my interest in volunteering. The lady then asked me for my details e.g. age, qualifications and nationality. The moment she found out that I was only a PR and not Singaporean, she told me that I was not qualified and said goodbye. So I was quite surprised at her bluntness. Here I was thinking how saintly I was to want to help someone and she just cut me off. At least she could thank me for my interest and offered me some other kind of volunteer work which also suited me. So my first attempt at offering kindness had been shot down. But I will not give up and I shall try for another charity tomorrow. I shall keep you lot updated.

No comments: