Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Bump Divide

Since I have opted to leave my previous employer a.k.a. Oppressor Muka Dua, I enjoy telling people about my new unemployed status (however I am working on a different title). I have noted that the responses I receive vary greatly. The one main difference is the ones with children and those without. Among female friends who are either married or unmarried (by choice) but WITHOUT children, the most common response I received was, "Why did you leave?" / "Aren't you worried you may have burnt bridges with Oppressor Muka Dua?" / "Wouldn't it be difficult to go back to the workforce if you are out of the market for 2 years?" and many more along the same vein.
On the other hand, mothers with children, even the women I rarely know such as the foot reflex shop owner down the road, would respond to me with spontaneous envy on being able to spend more time with my baby. It is so true what our mothers used to say to us when we were rebellious teenage brats, "When you become a mother, you will understand." I suppose maternal instinct is universal and knows no color, social boundary or nationality. Like I have said before, even I am surprised at how happy I am with my decision.

4 comments:

Reina Grosvalet said...

Hey, it does not matter what other people think. I had to learn that lesson very early in life for various reasons. You are doing what is best for you and your son, who by the way has the same name as my boyfriend--Edward, which I think is pretty cool. You have to do what is best for you, not what others believe is best for you.

I found your blog on accident, but I'm glad I stumbled upon it. You are a good writer, and you are down to earth. i'm going to put your blog on my list of blogs to follow since I enjoy reading about other people, especially if their lives are interesting, which yours is. Heck, I've never got to leave the country, so your life has more interest than mine. LOL :) Keep on blogging because I love reading. If you want to check out my blogs, feel free.

Mom again said...

Hi, thank you for stumbling upon my blog. Yes, Edward is a very good name! You'd be surprised to hear how people in this part of the world are inventing names for their kids. And to have a normal name like Edward would actually make you stand out.
It is a pleasure to know I've got a reader all the way across the ocean, and you should know that you've got one too, all the way over here.

Reina Grosvalet said...

Awwww! That's sweet! So, where exactly are you living? Are you currently in Singapore? I'd love to go there someday. I have had dreams of traveling the world to visit exotic places. I envision them coming true someday. And thanks for reading my blogs. I hope we can stay in touch.

Mom again said...

Yes I am currently living in Singapore. You must make efforts to travel! It is really amazing to learn about other cultures and different ways of life. If you ever travel to this part of the world, I am more than happy to give you suggestions!!! By the way, I go to Thailand every year because the food and beaches are amazing!