Friday, June 19, 2009

The Honest Muffin

Children are brutally honest. Yesterday I baked red velvet muffins, topped with mascarpone cream cheese. They were very delicious, at least in my opinion. I usually bake muffins in a batch of precious 12. So for each muffin I give out, I first contemplate the recipient before deciding whether he/she is muffin worthy.

Yesterday when I went to pick Eddie up from the park, there were 3 kids there. So I thought that precious 12 - 3 were ok. I offered the muffin to this little boy who eagerly accepted but a minute later he decided that he did not like it. The other 2 kids told me that the boy wanted to throw the muffin away! Such audacity, but he is only 3 years old.

Imagine if the world is filled with people who are honest and speak their minds, no mincing of words. Just imagine the delicious words that could flow out from your mouth in pure sincerity with no care in the world.

Mother in law
You will never think that I measure up to your standards. Guess what, neither do you!
Disclaimer: My MIL and I think that we are both great, at least that is what we got each other to believe.

Boss
Your jokes were never funny and the laughter was mere obligation. Everyone in the office pretends how wonderful you are but truth is, they bitch behind you all the time. Your pet so-and-so whom you think is so great, she calls in sick each time you go on leave.

(Neurotic) friends
*no, the honesty would be way too brutal*

For the Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe (the top one)
http://www.joyofbaking.com/RedVelvetCupcakes.html
I used Noel red which resulted in the darker red color, will try cherry red next time. And note the baking soda, not baking powder which I got wrong!

For Vanilla Cupcake Recipe (the blue ones)
http://www.joyofbaking.com/VanillaCupcakes.html
I left 1 egg out and found it only when I was cleaning out. Still ok but abit dry. Muffins look great tho and the blue icing helped it out alot. I added lemon juice to the butter icing.

2 comments:

little miss kechik said...

ur making me crave for cuppies la.. especially red velvet.. hehhehe

Mom again said...

i would make you some. the one i made has got choc in it, that's why in the photo the color's darker. and the other one with the blue topping is the vanilla muffin but with lemon buttercream icing. u should bake some too.